Friday, March 5, 2021
Friday, February 26, 2021
During training (when we are not yet successful), we use extra effort and focus to get it. It is tiring.
Once you are successful, the body gets used to it and will not be tiring anymore. The hair has been combed. The effort has gone through a filter.
Exercise: Use rotation to move a rod (front arm) through a tube.
- Issue: My front shoulder is still going forward towards the fist.
- We must put the torso inside a cylinder, such as someone wraps his arms around me.
- The front armpit needs to be tied to the rear foot.
- The front armpit is fixed, and the front shoulder is moving.
- The non-moving part must be bigger than the moving part.
- At all time, there is something outside the fist and rear shoulder pressing in. The motion will cause a breakout.
- Push the front shoulder into the line between the front fist and rear shoulder.
- The front shoulder has both vertical and horizontal intentions.
- The Front shoulder joint is free, the rest of the body is very rigid.
- Focus on the front shoulder. When we help someone, we often lose the focus or we never capture the focus.
- Teaching: First direct the focus to the right place, such as by exaggerating the movement (even including the wrong movement (not the final way we want)). Once that is achieved, then funnel the large movement into the specific target, such as the front fist in this case.
Thursday, February 25, 2021
This lesson is about staying on topic, and then categorization within a topic.
There are only 3 types of movements in Practical Method:
- Elbow-in (Pull)
- Hand-out (Push)
- Bend down with a stiff torso to the top of the head, and a fixed kua to foot triangle.
- When opening the kua, the power goes to the top of the head and the bogttom of the front foot.
- This is only an exercise, this is not for fighting.
- Don't move
Wednesday, February 24, 2021
- Move the front hand out
- Move the rear shoulder back
- Elbow perpendicularly towards the line between front hand and rear shoulder
- Hand out
Monday, February 22, 2021
Key things, e.g.
- Forward is to push.
- Backward is to pull.
- Middle is to rotate.
- Separation of yin and yang
We must remember the key things even if we don't understand it.
When we see "Fill in the blanks", even if we don't know the answer, we must fill in the key things. It won't be wrong overall.
There is a gap in between. It's can be too large or too small. Just right, it must have that "ke-cha".
We must remain a student as long as possible.
Even when we are instructors, in term sof time spent, we must spend more time as a student learning than as a teacher teaching.
Friday, February 19, 2021
open (开) | <- style="color: black; font-family: "Times New Roman"; font-size: medium;">|, To open is to parellel open (increase the distance between two plates). What we can actually do in the joint is very small. Big joint, max 3 inches. Small joint, max 1 mm.->
<- style="color: black; font-family: "Times New Roman"; font-size: medium;">Applying this concept of open in our actions, let's take fetch water as an example, the opening of the front should be like this. There are two plates at the end of the front hand and rear shoulder. We have to create a parallel opening at the front kua.->
Thursday, February 18, 2021
I was training to go down without pushing forward. I used a chair with a high back. There are felts underneath each leg, so they wouldn't stretch the wood floor. They also provided some amount of friction. I noticed that just by going down, the chair would be passively squeezed forward. I made sure that my arms were not moving. Every time I finished going down, I had to adjust my feet to move closer to the chair. As the chair was squeezed forward, one of its legs got caught at the air vent cover, and couldn't move forward. The result was that the chair rotated around the stuck leg as the chair was further squeezed forward before. I was thrown out in response to the rotation. The feeling was indeed quite weird. Note that the movement causing myself to be thrown was not created by the air vent cover. All it did was maintaining not moving, and making one of the legs to get stuck. This was real separation of yin and yang.